Navy Seaman ApprenticeE-2 Junior Enlisted, U.S. Navy
Navy Ranks » Seaman Apprentice Rank • SA Pay • SA Rank History
E-2 Seaman Apprentice - Junior Enlisted - U.S. Navy Ranks
|Title||Depending on rate: Seaman (last name) Fireman (last name) Constructionman (last name) Airman (last name)|
E-2 (DoD Paygrade)
OR-2 (NATO Code)
Seaman Apprentice, formerly known as Seaman Second Class, is the second-lowest enlisted rank in the United States Navy, directly above Seaman Recruit. There are several titles and color-coded rank insignias assigned to sailors receiving this grade, determined by their operational specialty:
- Seaman Apprentice is the title assigned to general-duty deck and administrative sailors, who wear a double white striped insignia.
- Fireman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors working in the engineering and hull departments, who wear a double red striped insignia.
- Hospital Apprentice, or Hospital Corpsman, is the title assigned to sailors specializing in the medical and hospital departments. This is the only rank available to hospital corpsmen, who wear double white striped insignia.
- Constructionman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors specializing in the naval construction battalion, or Seabees. They wear double blue-striped insignia.
- Airman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors specializing in aviation, who wear double green striped insignia.
Seaman Apprentice is the 2nd rank in the United States Navy , ranking above Seaman Recruit and directly below Seaman. A seaman apprentice is a Junior Enlisted at DoD paygrade E-2, with a starting monthly pay of $2,055.
How do you become a Seaman Apprentice?
A Seaman Apprentice is most often promoted from Seaman Recruit (SR), although promotion from lower paygrades may occur with sufficient display of leadership and experience.
If the sailor entered the Navy as an E-1, then they are all but guaranteed to promote to E-2 after nine months. Only an official record of bad behavior will hamper this.
Alternately, the sailor may have graduated Basic Training and immediately promoted to E-2 based on their initial signing contracts.
What is the proper way to address a Seaman Apprentice?
The correct way to address a Seaman Apprentice named Mr. Williams is "Depending on rate: Seaman Williams Fireman Williams Constructionman Williams Airman Williams", or written as SA Williams. In addition to their rank, all Navy junior enlisteds have a rating (job) such as Gunner's Mate. This job is included in their full rank title. In formal situations, a Seaman Apprentice should always be addressed by their full rank.
How much does a Seaman Apprentice earn?
Basic pay for an entry-level Seaman Apprentice with 2 or less years of experience is $2,054.70 per month.
A Seaman Apprentice receives an automatic raise to their basic pay every one to two years. Basic pay is only a small percentage of a Seaman Apprentice's final compensation package.
In addition to a monthly basic pay salary, a Navy Seaman Apprentice may be eligible for multiple types of allowances and bonus pay including hazard pay, food allowance, housing allowance, clothing allowance, and more.
For full details on the Navy's Seaman Apprentice compensation and retirement plan, visit the 2023 Navy Seaman Apprentice Pay Chart. A full table of the Navy's current paygrades are available at the Navy Pay Chart.
Equivalent Ranks to the Navy's E-2 Seaman Apprentice
To learn more about the Navy's rank structure, see our complete list of Navy ranks.
The Government civilian-employee equivalent of a Seaman Apprentice is paid under the General Schedule payscale. For more details, see this Navy rank to GS grade conversion table .
To see a list of military medals and decorations that can be earned by servicemembers in the Navy and other branches of the military, see our list of military decorations and medals.