Coast Guard Seaman ApprenticeE-2 Seaman, U.S. Coast Guard
E-2 Seaman Apprentice - Seaman - U.S. Coast Guard Ranks
Seaman Apprentice, formerly known as Seaman Second Class, is the second-lowest enlisted rank in the United States Coast Guard, directly above Seaman Recruit and below Seaman. There are several titles and color-coded rank insignias assigned to sailors receiving this grade, determined by their operational specialty:
- Seaman Apprentice is the title assigned to general-duty deck and administrative sailors, who wear a double white striped insignia.
- Fireman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors working in the engineering and hull departments, who wear a double red striped insignia.
- Hospital Apprentice, or Hospital Corpsman, is the title assigned to sailors specializing in the medical and hospital departments. This is the only rank available to hospital corpsmen, who wear double white striped insignia.
- Constructionman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors specializing in the naval construction battalion, or Seabees. They wear double blue-striped insignia.
- Airman Apprentice is the title assigned to sailors specializing in aviation, who wear double green striped insignia.
Seaman Apprentice is the 2nd rank in the United States Coast Guard , ranking above Seaman Recruit and directly below Seaman. A seaman apprentice is a Seaman at DoD paygrade E-2, with a starting monthly pay of $1,836.
How do you become a Seaman Apprentice?
A Seaman Apprentice is most often promoted from Seaman Recruit (SR), although promotion from lower paygrades may occur with sufficient display of leadership and experience.
Advancement from E-1 to E-2 is automatic after the successful completion of the eight weeks’ basic training course (boot camp). With this promotion comes his or her first posting to a unit and the opportunity to further explore and plan his or her future career path within the Coast Guard. In special circumstances, an SR, on completion of basic training and with guaranteed placement in a Class “A” School, can advance directly to the rank of Seaman, Fireman or Airman (E-3).
What is the proper way to address a Seaman Apprentice?
The correct way to address a Seaman Apprentice named Mr. Espinoza is "Seaman Espinoza", or written as SA Espinoza. In formal situations, a Seaman Apprentice should always be addressed by their full rank.
How much does a Seaman Apprentice earn?
Basic pay for an entry-level Seaman Apprentice with 2 or less years of experience is $1,836.30 per month.
A Seaman Apprentice receives an automatic raise to their basic pay every one to two years. Basic pay is only a small percentage of a Seaman Apprentice's final compensation package.
In addition to a monthly basic pay salary, a Coast Guard Seaman Apprentice may be eligible for multiple types of allowances and bonus pay including education allowance, personal money allowance, hazard pay, and more.
For full details on the Coast Guard's Seaman Apprentice compensation and retirement plan, visit the 2019 Coast Guard Seaman Apprentice Pay Chart. A full table of the Coast Guard's current paygrades are available at the Coast Guard Pay Chart.
Equivalent Ranks to the Coast Guard's E-2 Seaman Apprentice
To learn more about the Coast Guard's rank structure, see our complete list of Coast Guard ranks.
The Government civilian-employee equivalent of a Seaman Apprentice is paid under the General Schedule payscale. For more details, see this Coast Guard rank to GS grade conversion table .
To see a list of military medals and decorations that can be earned by servicemembers in the Coast Guard and other branches of the military, see our list of military decorations and medals.